INCM is the result of the merging in 1972, of Imprensa Nacional (The Official Printing Office) and Casa da Moeda (The Mint). The long history of these companies makes INCM the repository of some of the oldest industrial establishments in the country.

Localização da Casa da Moeda no mapa de Bráunio, 1596 Localização da Casa da Moeda no mapa de Bráunio, 1596

Localização da Casa da Moeda no mapa de Lisboa, 1775 Localização da Casa da Moeda no mapa de Lisboa, 1775

Casa da Moeda - Rua de São Paulo, 1891 Casa da Moeda - Rua de São Paulo 1891

Edifício da Casa da Moeda, 1941 Edifício da Casa da Moeda, 1941

A Casa da Moeda atualmente A Casa da Moeda atualmente

Cunhagem a martelo Cunhagem a martelo

Balancé, 1678 Balancé, 1678

Prensa monetária, 1866 Prensa monetária, 1866

Livro dos Privilégios dos Moedeiros Livro dos Privilégios dos Moedeiros

Regimento da Casa da Moeda de 1686
Regimento da Casa da Moeda de 1686

Decreto e Regulamento de 1845 Decreto e Regulamento de 1845

Decreto de 1864 Decreto de 1864

The oldest manufacturing establishment in the Country.

Lisbon's Mint is perhaps the oldest manufacturing establishment of the Portuguese State, with a continuous operation since at least the end of the thirteenth century.

The oldest news of its existence as a fixed workshop go back to reign of D. Dinis. It is very likely that it was located near the "Porta da Cruz" (Door of the Cross), in Santa Apolónia.

In the fourteenth century it was moved to the place that many years later became Limoeiro's prison, near the Cathedral. During the reign of D. João I the Mint was located in front of Nossa Senhora da Oliveira's church.

In the mid-century XVI it is believed that the Mint was transferred west, to the Rua da Calcetaria, not far from the Paço da Ribeira where it remained until 1720.

On September the 12th 1720 it was transferred to Rua de São Paulo. In a "remembrance" recorded in pgs. 253 v of the 2nd Book of Registo Geral (General Register) is stated that on that day, ".the factory and other materials and the safe from the Mint of this city of Lisbon, which was located in Rua da Calcetaria was moved to the building in which was located the Junta do Comércio Geral (General Trade Board) where a new Mint was edified".

The Mint stood there until 1941 and then moved to the building where it now stands and which was designed by the architect Jorge Segurado

Major periods in the manufacture of currency.

The manufacture of currency in Portugal can be divided in two major periods.

The first major period starts on the early days of the monarchy and ends around 1678. During that time was used the hammer's manual system: it consisted on placing a monetary blank on a fixed die and then hammering the mobile die.

The second period extends from 1678 until the present and it's characterised by the use of a machine. By the end of the XVII century the screw press is finally introduced in the manufacture of coins, whose driving force, human to start with, was replaced by steam power in 1835, with the acquisition by the Mint of Lisbon of one of the first steam engines in the country.

The press, bought in England to the firm Boulton and Watt, was identical to the one in the Royal Mint in London. In 1866 were acquired the powerful monetary presses from Ulhorn company, ancestors of those still minting our money.

The first known statute of the mint date of 1498 and was given by D. Manuel. It establishes as key figure the Treasurer, responsible for all the values that were brought in (metal) and out (coins). In addition, there was still the following officers: 2 Judges (later Masters) of the Scale, 1 Registers, 2 Testers, 2 Smelters, 1 Opener of Dies, 2 Guards of Furnace, 1 Purchaser, 3 Rescuers, 1 Warden and 1 Assayer in addition to 104 Coiners said of the 'number'.

The improvements in the art of minting from the end of the seventeenth century determined the review of the existing legislation and led to the publication in 1686, by D. Pedro II, of the "Rules that, his majesty -God save- orders to attend in the Mint. The position of Treasurer remains with the functions he already had, and is created the office of Provider as head of the institution.

In 1845, with the Decree of July 28, there is the merger of the Mint with the Sealed Paper Department (Repartição do Papel Selado).They come under the same general administration, and the Mint is renamed the Mint and Sealed Paper Office

In 1853, with the introduction in Portugal of postage stamps, the Mint and Sealed Paper Office starts producing postal values and suffers a new reshuffle with the Decree of 7 December 1864.

By the end of the nineteenth century the company earns a position of greater emphasis on quality control of noble metals, when, in 1882 the Assay Offices become subject to the General Administration of the Mint and Sealed Paper Office. It then came to oversee the industry and trade of jewellery in Portugal, which it still does.

Already in the twentieth century the Portuguese Mint has seen its services successively restructured in 1911, 1920, 1929 and 1938, finally merging in 1972, with the Official Printing Office.

Imagem maximizada

fechar [X]