A INCM resulta da fusão, em 1972, da Imprensa Nacional e da Casa da Moeda. Pela longa história das empresas que a originaram, a INCM é herdeira dos mais antigos estabelecimentos industriais do País.

Sítio da CotoviaSítio da Cotovia

Alvará de 24 de dezembro de 1768Alvará de 24 de dezembro de 1768

Joaquim Carneiro da SilvaJoaquim Carneiro da Silva

Francesco BartolozziFrancesco Bartolozzi

D. Rodrigo de Sousa CoutinhoD. Rodrigo de Sousa Coutinho

Tórculo, 1802Tórculo, 1802

Cartas de JogarCartas de Jogar

1.º Catálogo de Tipos da Imprensa Régia1.º Catálogo de Tipos da Imprensa Régia

Tórculo, 1802Tórculo, 1802

Cartas de JogarCartas de Jogar

1.º Catálogo de Tipos da Imprensa Régia1.º Catálogo de Tipos da Imprensa Régia

Catálogo Geral de Tipos, 1915Catálogo Geral de Tipos, 1915

Maquete do antigo edifício da Imprensa Nacional, 1768 - 1895Maquete do antigo edifício da Imprensa Nacional, 1768 - 1895

Maquete do atual edifício da Imprensa NacionalMaquete do atual edifício da Imprensa Nacional

Gravura de Imprensa Nacional século XIXGravura de Imprensa Nacional século XIX

Atual Edifício da Imprensa NacionalAtual Edifício da Imprensa Nacional

Firmo Augusto MarecosFirmo Augusto Marecos

Biblioteca da Imprensa NacionalBiblioteca da Imprensa Nacional

Luís DerouetLuís Derouet

Gazeta de Lisboa, 1718Gazeta de Lisboa, 1718

Descendant of the Royal Printing

Created by charter of December 24 of 1768, the Royal Printing, also called Royal Typographic Workshop, only since1833 has been designated The Official Printing Office.

To start its work, the Miguel Manescal da Costa typographical workshop was acquired and was rented the palace of D. Fernando Soares de Noronha, the skylark (a cotovia), in the then Rua Direita da Fábrica das Sedas, almost opposite the College of Nobles, but with entry by Travessa do Pombal currently Rua da Imprensa Nacional.

Under the 1768 charter the Royal Printing was, "joined to the typefaces" factory that until now was in charge of the Board of Commerce", founded in 1732 by Jean de Villeneuve. This Frenchman came to Portugal called by D. João V to teach his art. He was committed to "continue the teaching of apprentices in the same typefaces" factory, so that the kingdom will not lack teachers of such useful art".

And because "being now necessary that the body of a Royal Printing does not lack any circumstance that will make it defective, and being engraving one of the ornaments of printing, whether for demonstrations, or for many other very useful purposes", was named as "opener of engravings, the known expert who will have the obligation to open all engravings necessary to printing, and will be paid at their fair value, and more, will continually teach the apprentices", Joaquim Carneiro da Silva.

Later, between 1802 and 1815, the famous engraver Francesco Bartolozzi took this post. Called to Lisbon by the then President of the Royal Treasury, D. Rodrigo de Sousa Coutinho.

With the Playing cards and Paperboard Factory

In July 1769, was incorporated in the Royal Printing the Playing cards and Paperboard Factory, under the direction of the Genoese Lorenzo Solesio, whose monopoly on the manufacture and sale of playing cards in the "kingdom and conquests " was one of its main incomes up to 1832, when it was extinguished.

Under the direction of a Board or Conference with three members, the Director General, Nicolau Pagliarini, Deputy Treasurer, Bento José de Miranda, and the Workshop Administrator, Miguel Manescal da Costa, the Royal Printing began operating in an area of Lisbon in full industrial development after the earthquake.

Initially rented, the palace of the Travessa do Pombal was purchased in 1816, for the price of 16 "contos de réis" (one "conto de réis" was equal to a million royals, the economic unit at the time). In 1895, the old building, considered inadequate for the needs of a factory in continuous development, began to be demolished to make way for today's building.

The work, which took place in phases, was completed in 1913. Interesting case of longevity of a manufacturing space, the Official Printing Office continues today, after more than two centuries, to work in the same place, though with profound inside changes necessary to adjust to new times and to modern technologies.

A decisive role in literary works

Managed until 1801 by the Board or Conference, under the tutelage, successively, of the Board of Trade (1768), the Board of Administration of the Kingdom Factories and Free Waters (1778), the Royal Bureau of the General Committee on the Review and Censorship of Books (1788) and, finally, the President of the Royal Treasury (1801), from that date until 1810, the Royal Printing was administered by an Economic and Administrative Board, assisted by a Literary Board, composed of four royal teachers, which should decide on the works to be published.

It was at this time, in December 1801, that was extinguished the Literary House of Arco do Cego, created in 1799 under the direction of Frei José Mariano da Conceição Veloso, and its assets and personnel were integrated into the Royal Printing, leaving it with the task of "Continuing to print the books and works that were commissioned to the Literary House of Arco do Cego" and "complete all works already started and that should be concluded, as well as carry out others".

In 1810, receives a new administrative reform, being under the management of a single administrator, Joaquim António Xavier Anes da Costa, who only leaves the office in 1833. This is a period at the same time of financial reorganization and development of the institution, which supplies their shop with new equipment.

After a phase of political instability, from 1833 to 1838, in which had three directors, Rodrigo da Fonseca Magalhães, António de Oliveira Marreca e José Liberato Freire de Carvalho, ahead of an administrative commission that included João Vieira Caldas and Gaspar José Marques, The Official Printing Office was successively managed by two brothers, José Frederico Pereira Marecos, from 1838 to 1844, and Firmo Augusto Pereira Marecos, from 1844 to 1878.

Modernization and international recognition

At this time it was technologically upgraded, with both managers making trips abroad, to Paris, London and Brussels, and acquiring the presses and other machinery that placed the Official Printing Office at the same level of their European counterparts. Proof of this are the awards in national and international exhibitions were it competed: London 1862, Oporto 1865, Paris 1867, Vienna 1873, Philadelphia 1876, and, under the management of Venâncio Deslandes (1878-1909), Paris 1878, Rio de Janeiro 1879, Paris 1889 and 1900.

In 1910, with the advent of the Republic, took over the post of director-general Luís Derouet, murdered at the door of the building in 1927, by an unemployed printer. It was during his administration that the Official Printing Office experienced a remarkable cultural development (organized conferences and exhibitions and inaugurated the Library Room in 1923) and social development (The Pensioner Cooperative, in 1913, Cash Aid for the Widows and Orphans, in 1918, and Mutual Providence in 1923).

The second centenary

Until 1968, when it was celebrated its 2nd Centenary, the Official Printing Office continued to modernize itself to adapt to new technologies and market needs.

In 1969, by Decree-Law no. 49476, from December 30, became government owned company. Finally, in July 1972, was merged with the Mint.

While the Official Printing Office is still associated with the publication of the Official Journal (and its antecedents, Lisbon's gazette and the Government Journal, among the several designations that the official journal had), already under the charter of 1768, it should "Make itself useful and respectable by the perfection of typefaces and the abundance and cleanliness of its impressions".

Throughout its existence, edited or just printed works of classic or alive authors, not only Portuguese but also translated, works of literary, artistic or scientific nature in addition to the said "official" works, such as legislation, reports, even speeches and forms which were called in the eighteenth century "flyer papers", i.e. forms and models for administrative use.

It excelled in the art of engraving, had a school of composition, founded in the mid-nineteenth century, from where come some of the most outstanding professionals in graphic arts, and today, more than two centuries after its creation, having adapted to the new requirements, remains at the same place where it was installed by the Marquis of Pombal, fulfilling the mission that has been entrusted to it of "enliven the letters and arise an useful impression from the public for their productions, and worthy of the capital of these kingdoms ".

FROM THE LISBON'S GAZETTE TO THE OFFICIAL JOURNAL

The origin of the official newspaper tends to be placed in 1715, when begins the publication of Lisbon's Gazette (so called from the 2nd issue, because the 1st issue leaves under the title of News of the States: Annual and Chronological History, Politics of the World and Especially of Europe). Between 1718 and 1741 takes the name of the Western Lisbon Gazette, in 1741 is again only Lisbon's Gazette. Between 1762 and 1778 its publication is prohibited by the future Marquis of Pombal, only being published again in August 1778.

Between 1778 and 1803 and between 1814 and 1820 was published by the Royal Printing and since 1820, the official newspaper no longer ceased to be published by the Official Printing Office.

Between September 16 and December 31 of 1820 were published both the Lisbon's Gazette and the Government Journal, merging into a single newspaper on January 1 of 1821 under the name of the Government Journal, until February 10 of that year. Since then, reflecting the disturbed period lived, passes through several denominations: Regency's Diary (from February 12 to July 4 of 1821), the Government Journal (from July 5 of 1821 to 4 June of 1823), Lisbon's Gazette (June 5 of 1823 to July 24 of 1833), Lisbon's Constitutional Chronicle and then only Lisbon's Chronicle (25 July 1833 to June 30 of 1834), Official Government Gazette (from July 1 to October 4 of 1834), the Government Gazette (of 6 October to 31 December 1834) and the Government Journal (January 1 of 1835 to 31 December 31 of 1859). Between January 1 of 1860 and December 31 of 1868 is called Lisbon's Journal and finally from January 1 of 1869 returns to Government Journal, a name which stayed until April 9 of 1976 when receives its current name of Official Journal.

Imagem maximizada

fechar [X]